Train up a child in the way he should go [teaching him to seek God’s wisdom and will for his abilities and talents], Even when he is old, he will not depart from it.
In the corner of every human’s heart, there lies a child. So naturally, there’s a period we wish to go back to being children or acting like one. And there are also times that we act childish in some specific circumstances, even without knowing. According to research, it has been discovered that by age 5, a child’s personality is about 80% formed. Hence, whatever the child’s brain has accumulated within that age is what he shows forth as he grows. The remaining 20% of the personality formation is said to be acquired as the child grows.
Many adults today blame their parents for not raising them properly. They curse their parents for indulging them in the wrong acts instead of shunning those acts. While this can be true for some parents, we also have a responsibility to play. In mental development, there is a stage a human grows to that he begins to think by himself; he knows what is right from wrong and can make confident decisions. At this stage, a man shouldn’t go back to blaming his parents for not raising him well.
Even though some parents have done damage to their children’s lives, we all have the choice to repent and receive the salvation of God. After all, no life is above redemption; therefore, we can decide to be good or bad people. There’s an adage in an African tribe that says, “when a child is trained, he retrains himself.” This means that as you grow up, you are responsible for whatever actions you do. You are responsible for shedding off some old teachings and taking in new ones. Paul said, “When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” 1Cor. 13:11.
As you grow, you must train yourself, that child within you, to become a better person. And truthfully, you can’t do this on your own. You need the Holy Spirit to help you. “How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping watch [on himself] according to Your word [conforming his life to Your precepts].” Psa. 119:9.
You can’t walk or speak right on your own except by the leading of the Holy Spirit. So you should ask the Holy Spirit to order your steps in His word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over you. (Psalm 119:133).
How Can You Help That Child in You?
Here are a few steps to train yourself in how you should go. Your responsibility is now to stay in line with that training and not depart from it.
1. Develop a relationship with the Holy Spirit: It is not by power or might, but by the Spirit, says the Lord. Even when you wish to walk with Christ, some forces are ready to stop you from doing so. Hence the need for the guidance of the Holy Spirit in your journey to growing in Christ.
2. Confess your sins: For all have sinned and come short of the glory of our Father. Now, no matter what type of sin you have committed, once you’ve asked the Holy Spirit to take charge of your, confess your sins. Ask the Lord to forgive you and wash you with His merciful blood. Ask for the renewal of your soul and the grace to follow Him till the end. Accept Him genuinely and walk in His light. “Dear brothers and sisters, when I was with you I couldn’t talk to you as I would to spiritual people. I had to talk as though you belonged to this world or as though you were infants in Christ. I had to feed you with milk, not with solid food, because you weren’t ready for anything stronger. And you still aren’t ready, for you are still controlled by your sinful nature.” 1Cor. 3:1-2. Enough of being a baby Christian.
3. Study the word of God: one of the ways to train a child is by keeping watch yourself according to God’s word (conforming your life to His precepts). When you study the word of God, the Holy Spirit will help you to know what to do. He will reveal the secrets of your life to you so that you don’t go astray.
4. Develop beautiful self-love for you: Every child needs love to thrive. You need passion to know that you deserve to walk with God. Truthfully, you might have committed so many atrocities, but the Lord is willing to help you since you’ve asked the Holy Spirit to take charge of your life. Love yourself unconditionally, just as Christ loves you.
5. Do what makes you happy: This is necessary, but you must be spiritually sensitive to what you like. Don’t do what will not make God happy. Don’t do what will affect others wrongly. Build positive capacities in all ways, and in all your doings, ensure you are making God happy too.
6. Love others: one thing we cannot do without is show love to others. This doesn’t just make others happy; it makes us grow to become better individuals. So, in training yourself to be better, try to be a light that shines brightly into other people’s lives.
There are several other ways to train a child, but you are good to go with these few. You can pray and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal how He wants you to go on this journey so that you don’t want to be like another person. It is well with you in Jesus’ name.
Father, I come before you this day. I bless you for revealing this truth to me. Father, as I have read your word, help me to grow in your light. I know I haven’t received the best training to help me become a better person, but today, train me in your way, Oh Lord. Teach me your precept and order my steps. Thank you for your answered prayers. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.
This is our message for today, and we hope you were blessed. We’d also love to hear from you; please comment below.
Would you like to find more resources to aid your spiritual growth? Click here to see what we’ve got for you.
Have a blessed day!